Process: Every year, members of EHDCC are invited to submit resolutions of a local scope to the EHDCC’s policy process; this process culminates in a democratic vote on the floor of the Chamber’s annual general meeting. Following approval at the AGM, the EHDCC and its members can move forward in their advocacy efforts based on the resolutions contained within the Policy Resolution Book.
The Advocacy Committee: Appointed annually, and reporting to the Board of Directors, the EHDCC Advocacy and Policy Committee will play a vital role in reviewing policy submissions from members of EHDCC and making recommendations to delegates from this Chamber. In addition, it is the role of the Policy and Advocacy Committee to receive and search out issues that fall within the Advocacy Policy, and, in consideration of the Advocacy Policy, to make recommendations to the Board of Directors to deal with these issues. It shall be the responsibility of the Advocacy Committee to carry out such surveys or inquiries directly with the membership and the Board of Directors to determine the Committee’s activities.
Issue filters: It is evident that due to available resources, the EHDCC may not be in a position to respond to all requests for action. Therefore, it shall be the policy of the Advocacy Committee to use the following filters to recommend to the Board of Directors if the issue should be dealt with by the EHDCC.
- Does this issue fall within the mandate of the EHDCC?
- Does the issue affect the wider business community?
- Does this issue affect a wider population?
- Is this an issue on which EHDCC can have an impact given its available resources?
- Will action on this issue result in improving the region’s or provincial competitive advantage?
- Will taking a position on this issue demonstrate leadership in the business community?
- Will taking a position improve the business climate for our members?
Responding to Issues: When an issue is determined relevant, the Board of Directors may request the Committee to consult all available research to ensure that an informed policy position is developed and recommended to the Board. The Board of Directors may allocate sufficient human and financial resources to the Committee to carry out its role. The Board of Directors are not compelled to take on every issue that comes to the table. In situations where inadequate information or research is available or it is impossible to respond in a timely manner, if it is not in the best interests of EHDCC to form policy on the matter.
The Communications Committee is responsible for communications with EHCC members, the business community, the residential community, Chamber partners, and the world in general. The goal is to increase member engagement and provide business support and access to member services. The Communication Committee works with every other committee to cross-promote events, education, advocacy, etc. The Committee should refer to the EHCC Strategic Plan for guidance. Communication tools include the website, social media, newsletters and emails.
The mandate of the Education Committee is to engage and inform our members and the general business community and facilitate their access to business development and education programs, to improve their business success. Reference will be made to the EHCC Strategic Plan for guidance.
Working closely with the Chamber staff, the Events Committee coordinates the planning, organization and operation of events and networking opportunities for Chamber members. Reference will be made to the Chamber`s Strategic Plan. Consideration is given to:
- Adding value to membership
- Facilitating connections between members
- Assisting members to promote their businesses
- Providing a forum for business people to exchange leads and information, as well as share resources.
The Events Committee coordinates with the Communications Committee to market and promote events. Sub-committees may be struck as necessary for specific events.
– being updated –
– being updated –
The Finance Committee is responsible with the Treasurer for overseeing the management of the Chamber financial affairs and reporting to the Board. Activities include, preparation of the Annual Budget, ongoing accounting requirements, accounts receivables and payables, visa, short term investments etc.
- The Finance Committee is also responsible for exploring sources for revenue development and the maintenance of existing sources of revenue etc.
The Executive Committee consists of the: President, 1st VP, 2nd VP, Treasurer, Secretary & Past-President. The President (or 1st VP in President’s absence) chairs the committee, which meets monthly. The Executive oversees day-to-day operations, assists in focusing activities and issues for Board consideration, and sets the agenda for Board meetings. The Executive Committee
- is responsible for, and advises the Board in, matters of governance, by-laws, and Board policies.
- is responsible for and oversees HR matters, office manager activities, and directs the office manager in office operations and administrative matters.
- monitors the implementation of the Chamber’s Strategic plan, and facilitates changes or amendments
- works with the Finance Committee on all banking, financial and accounting matters including acquisitions, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
The role of the Executive is set out in s. 22 of the Bylaws as follows: a. Ensure policy decisions are implemented appropriately by staff, through monitoring and reporting mechanisms. b. Ensure a strategic plan is in place for the EHCC’s short-term and long-term objectives. c. Report its actions and decisions back to the Board of Directors at the first Board meeting after that action or decision is taken. The Board may then approve or reverse Committee decisions, unless circumstances make it impossible.
Each committee is chaired or co-chaired by a Director. Committee members may be be drawn from the Chamber membership or the greater community. If you are interested in taking part in any of these activities, please Contact Us. Your input and expertise is welcome!